Tuesday 10 April 2012

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand insists he is not thinking about retirement

The defender has no plans to hang up his playing boots just yet and has revealed that he still dwells on titles which the club missed out on winning since he moved to Old Trafford

 Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has insisted that retirement is not in his thoughts after completing 10 years' service for the Red Devils.

The 33-year-old has been influential in United’s push for another Premier League title this season and is keen to win as many trophies as possible before he eventually decides to hang up his playing boots.

"You think it could be your last one or two [titles],” Ferdinand told the club's official website.

“You don't know. I would want to go out on a high note. There are not many players who leave this club doing exactly what they want to do.

"You want to do it as hard as you can and finish on a good note because I don't think it would be good finishing your career with a loss, or by not winning something. The losses now do my head in.

“To think I wouldn't be able to rectify it the season after because I had retired or left would rankle. I am not thinking about retirement. I am trying to play as long as I can. I have another year after this and I want to do another 10!"

The England international joined the club from Leeds United in 2002 and, despite winning a host of trophies at Old Trafford, he still dwells on Premier League titles which he narrowly missed out on winning.

"I still think about the ones we should have won," he added.

"I have had a great time here. I love this club and I love being here. I love the history of the club. My association with the club will be there forever.

"I have great memories to take away from here when I do eventually hang my boots up. At the moment, I am really enjoying my football. The manager said to me the other day, not many players play for one club for 10 years any more.

“It doesn't happen. To do it at a club like Manchester United that are fighting for league titles and different trophies every year, when you sit back and look at it, it is good. But I don't dwell on things like that. I just concentrate on this year.

"Fingers crossed, we can add some more medals."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment